The need for a maintenance-free lawn has resulted in the popularity of fake grass sunshine Coast. These synthetic grasses are very different from the ones that were available in the past. Today, synthetic grass looks as real as its natural counterpart does.
What is fake grass?
Most synthetic grasses are made of nylon, polyethylene or polypropylene. These materials are durable, aesthetic looking and feel soft underfoot. They are of different types depending on their pile length and the shade of their colour.
This grass is made by threading the filaments into a backing, which lies over a drainage layer usually made up of compacted gravel. The drainage layer is tied to the perimeter and stuffed with sand or recycled crumb runner. This prevents the synthetic grass from blowing away during strong winds and a stiff breeze.
Synthetic grass with longer pile lengths and multi-tone colouring looks almost like growing grass. Hence, it is extensively used to make lawns, play areas, pool surrounds, dog runs, decorative borders, rooftops etc. Synthetic grass with shorter pile lengths is used in tennis courts, golf field greens, hockey pitches etc.
Synthetic grass is tough, it is durable and easy to maintain. Hence, it is so popular today. Some important reasons why people prefer synthetic grass are:
- Natural grass needs constant care by way of weeding, watering, fertilising, mowing etc.
- Saving on summer water bills
- Chemical fertilisers and herbicides can cause health hazards etc
- They are environmentally friendly and easy to maintain
Cost of layers the artificial grass
The upfront cost of synthetic grass is very high. The installation cost range varies according to the quality and can be anything between AUS $20 and AUS $40 per sq. ft. However, once installed, it can be regularly used for 15 to 20 years without incurring any further costs other than those required to keep it clean.
While the initial cost might seem to be very high, it is important to understand that professionally laid sod costs only 14 cents to 60 cents. However, there are many other additional maintenance costs involved like electricity, water, fertilisers, mowers etc. These not only require a monthly investment, but they are also time-consuming.
Disadvantages of using synthetic grass
Some of the disadvantages associated with synthetic grass are:
- It is not maintenance-free for it needs to be cleaned regularly to prevent the accumulation of dirt and dead leaves
- When pets urinate on it, It can neither absorb it nor break it down and hence needs to be immediately cleaned to avoid stinking
- It can heat up when placed under direct sun rays and tends to radiate this heat making people, pets and the surroundings very hot
- The infill and anti-shock layer which accounts for the bouncy feel of the synthetic grass needs to be replaced after every few years
- It cannot be recycled and ends up in landfills etc.
To prevent artificial grass from radiating heat, it can be shaded using shade trees.Some people feel that nothing can replace natural grass. But most prefer using fake grass since it is versatile and relatively maintenance-free. Hence, it has become a popular go-to landscaping option for many homeowners.